Whole Wheat Yellow Squash Bread
As you know from my previous blogs I have yellow squash growing out of my ears. Recently I made a whole wheat squash bread which received many raving fans from. I decided to make 8 loaves yesterday to freeze and eat throughout the year.
What you will need:
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded summer squash
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease your baking dish.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the eggs until fluffy. Beat in the sugar, oil, and vanilla. Gradually mix in both flour’s, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg (if you have fresh nutmeg, it is worth the time to grate it in). Fold in the squash. Transfer to your baking dish.
- Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Enjoy with your morning coffee or as a mid-day snack.
Make sure if you do buy summer squash that you are buying it from your farmer at any of your local farmers markets. This is a seasonal vegetable in Texas and should be purchased through a local source.
Have a safe holiday weekend!